2053 Woodbridge Ave. Edison, NJ 08817

Ken is a NJ trial attorney who has published 130 articles in national and New Jersey publications on litigation topics. He has been selected to write the new ABA book: DUI and Drug Possession Defense".

Monday, March 02, 2015

NJ Ignition Interlock Device FAQs

NJ Ignition Interlock Device FAQs
When I resided in New Jersey, I was issued a DUI but have since moved to another state. I was told by the ignition interlock companies in the state where I now live that I am not required to have the device installed on any vehicle. Is this true? What should I do?
No, this is not true. Installation of the interlock device is a condition for having your license restored in New Jersey. Your privilege is suspended in New Jersey and will remain suspended until you have satisfied all requirements for restoration. An interlock device needs to be placed on any vehicle you operate in order for you to be restored. Failure to do so will keep you suspended in NJ, which may prevent your new state from issuing you a license. In order to comply with the interlock limitation requirements while living in your current location, we suggest that you check the MVC website for a list of manufacturer’s. Call each of the manufacturers to find out which of them does business at a location near you. Go to that location with your letter from the MVC and have the device installed on a vehicle. Once the device is installed, mail copies of any receipt and other documentation that you receive from the installer to Motor Vehicle Commission, Driver Management Bureau, PO Box 134, Trenton, NJ, 08650, Attention: Interlock Compliance.
I am a student and currently do not own or operate a vehicle. What should I do?
If you do not plan to operate any vehicles following your suspension term, you may obtain a non-driver ID by presenting 6 Points of Identification at any Motor Vehicle Agency. In order to restore your driving privileges, you will need to provide the MVC with a service invoice and a certification of interlock installation to prove installation of an ignition interlock device on any vehicle you will be operating. The vehicle does not need to belong to you.
What happens if I don’t have the interlock device installed on a vehicle?
Failure to install a court ordered ignition interlock device a vehicle you operate may result in an additional one year driving privilege suspension.
I called the MVC’s 7500 phone line and was told there is an entry saying “Interlock Limitation during Suspension,” which means I have to have an interlock device on my vehicle during my suspension time. Is this true?
Yes. As required by New Jersey statute, a judge may order an interlock limitation during and after the suspension term.
Last Updated: 02/12/2015
I have two interlock suspensions on my record from two different DWI suspensions. One is for one hundred eighty days (180) and the second is for seven hundred thirty (730) days. How much time am I required to keep the interlock device on my vehicle?

Can I have the suspension order changed if I don’t have a vehicle to put the interlock device on?

What happens if I have the interlock device removed before my interlock requirement time is over? For example, my vehicle was totaled in an accident or if was impounded or sold?

What happens if I cannot operate the interlock device due to a medical condition?

Last Updated: 02/12/1015

I have met all my other restoration requirements except certifying that the ignition interlock requiremnt has been installed. What is my next step?
After the approved ignition interlock device has been installed, you will receive a Certificate of Installation of an approved ignition interlock device. You must present the Certificate along with the installation work order in person at a Motor Vehicle Commission Full Service Agency.
Last Updated: 02/12/2015 
source http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Violations/interlock-faq.pdf