2053 Woodbridge Ave. Edison, NJ 08817

Ken is a NJ trial attorney who has published 130 articles in national and New Jersey publications on litigation topics. He has been selected to write the new ABA book: DUI and Drug Possession Defense".

Monday, February 26, 2007

. Erase old criminal arrests and guilty pleas- New legal service available

Thousands of citizens in New Jersey over the past 20 years have been arrested for criminal, disorderly, and municipal ordinance offenses. They may include your neighbors, friends and loyal church worshipers. The courts and police must keep a record of all arrests and convictions, even if 20 years old. These "secrets of the past" could be open to anyone in New Jersey including credit agencies. Under one proposal, for a $15.00 fee, someone could ask the state police for a person's criminal record, even arrests with not guilty findings. Allowing access to a person's old criminal conviction or arrest record could open the door for discrimination against someone who now is a productive, respected, and law abiding citizen. Many employers often do a criminal background check on new and promoted employees.
Fortunately, if you are a law abiding citizen, you can now have old arrests or convictions erased from public records and police folders. Under NJSA 2C:52-1 et seq. past criminal convictions can be expunged/ erased under certain instances.
If someone has been arrested or even had a private criminal complaint signed against them in the Municipal Court, they have a criminal record, even if the charges were dismissed.
Under NJSA 2C:52-1 et seq. past criminal arrests and convictions can be expunged/ erased under certain instances. We always recommend individuals hire an attorney to obtain an expungement. The process for all expungements are held in the Superior Court. It takes a minimum of three months for the court to grant the expungement. The requirements are very formal. There can be a waiting period between 6 months up to 10 years after the criminal cases is finished.
When retaining the attorney, obtain a "certified disposition" of the court's decision, from the Court itself.

Recent cases: Confession made after arrest warrant admissible. State v. Bell 388 N.J. Super. 629 (App. Div. 2006)

Where police arrested defendant pursuant to an arrest warrant but without a search warrant for the third party's residence in which they found him, his confession, made later at the police station, need not be suppressed. Source: NJ Law Journal November 27, 2006

2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison, NJ 08817
(Phone) 732-572-0500
(Fax) 732-572-0030
website: www.njlaws.com
Admitted to practice law in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, US Supreme Court and Federal District Court